Friday, January 10, 2014

Chicken Tikka Masala

This is Jeff's FAVORITE meal, of all time.  So you know it must be good.  It is a little extra work, but it turns out amazing every time!  I found this recipe on Pinterest about a year ago and I think I've made it 6 or 8 times.  We love it.  Plus, it uses pretty regular ingredients that I always have on hand.  I think the only things I have to buy specifically for this are
the yogurt, cream, and the garam masala (but I only had to buy that the first time, because you only use a little each time).  I found garam masala at our local grocery store... I'm not sure if WalMart has it, but it was in the regular spice section at King Soopers.  

Chicken Tikka Masala (from this website, but I've made a few adjustments to make it easier on myself)

1 1/2 Lbs chicken breast, chopped into bite size pieces (I usually do 2 chicken breasts)

Marinade
1 cup plain yogurt (If I can't find plain regular yogurt in a small container, I will sometimes use plain Greek yogurt and it works just fine.  The small containers are usually 6oz., which is less than a cup, but it is enough.)
2 Tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp red pepper  (I use WAY less... like 1/2 tsp.)
2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground ginger


Directions:
Mix all the marinade ingredients together in a big bowl.  Then cut up chicken into 1 inch pieces and stir into the marinade.  Let it sit as long as possible.  (I usually only have time to wait an hour, sometimes less.)

Sauce
1 Tbsp butter
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 jalapeño, minced

1 green bell pepper, cut into strips
1/2 large yellow onion, cut into strips
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp salt


1 can (14.5oz) tomato sauce
1-2 c heavy whipping cream


Directions:
After marinading the chicken, melt butter in a large skillet.  Then add garlic, jalapeno, bell pepper, onion, and spices.  Cook until peppers and onions are about half-way soft.  Then add the marinated chicken and cook until chicken done.  Then add the tomato sauce and let simmer for 30 minutes.  At the very end, right before serving, add the cream.  If you want it hotter- add less cream.  If you want it more mild- add more cream.  I usually only add 1 c. of cream and it turns out mild/medium heat.  

Serve with basmati rice and homemade naan for the ultimate Bombay House experience @ home!

No comments:

Post a Comment